GR20 stage 9: Refuge de l´Onda-Vizzavona
Distance: 11 km, asc/desc: 670/1180 m, 7 h
August 14th, 2016
- Directly up to the Monte d´Oro summit ridge followed by a long, long descent to Vizzavona.
- I had considered the detour via Monte d´Oro, however I failed spot the turn-off from the main trail on the summit ridge.
- The descent is long and straightforward in fine weather but the slabs near the top would be difficult to descend if wet.
- An hour before Vizzavona, tourists flock around the Cascade des Anglais, where the café serves excellent sandwich.
- The GR20 is a cash-driven trek, and buying supplies as well as beer every day as well as the occasional meal at the refuge had emptied my wallet.
- Thus I caught an afternoon train to down to Corte, planning to return for the GR20 South the following morning.