July 2013: First time out on a multiday, camping hike: The Northern (and most popular) stretch of the Kungsleden from Abisko to Kvikkjokk – approximately 160 km walked in 10 days.
- The wilderness of Laponia in general. Although you are never far away (10 km max) from a staffed hut, there is a true sense of wilderness, which furthermore comes without virtually without a risk of predators.
- Aktse. An old, now abandoned, settlement, where the spirit of the settlers remain and a mountain lodge now is established at the old settlers lodge.
- The endless forest between Laitaure and Kvikkjokk.
- The midnight sun. In July it never really gets dark.
- Kebnekaise and around (I climbed Kebnekaise on another trip in both 2014 and 2016).
- Bring a map. Not only for safety but also to learn about the landmarks on the way.
- Do not buy too small hiking boots. It took me two years and 6 lost toe nails to realize this.
- Check your sleeping mattress. My sleeping mattress was not insulated as I had bought an air-mattress by mistake.
- Hiking in Laponia requires a four-season sleeping bag as snow may be encountered at any time, especially in the higher areas, such as at the Tjäktja pass.
- Merino wool, merino wool. Merino wool is unsurpassed for base layer/underwear.
- Even though the midnight sun is on, it may not be enough to charge a solar charger.
- Bring hiking poles, not only for hiking but also for river crossings.
- Do not overdo it in the beginning. The 20 km I did on second day between Abiskojaure and Alesjaure was clearly too much.
- Bring a GPS watch – not for navigation but for monitoring distances hiked and ascents done.
- The mosquitos are ferocious. The mild Danish mosquito spray does not work up here: Buy the local mosquito repellent.
Abisko – Abiskojaure (camping) – Alesjaure (camping) – Tjäktja (hut) – Sälkka (camping) – Singi (camping) – Vakkotavare (camping) – Before Sitasjaure (camping) – Aktse (camping) – before Pårte (camping) – before Kvikkjok (camping).
With these lessons, I went to the Alps in France, to hike the Tour de Mont Blanc.