Top multi day hikes:
- The Routeburn Track. A glorious walk through meadows, ancient forests, waterfalls and lakes including a high mountain pass.
- The Tongariro Northern Circuit. Walk through active volcanic scenery passing craters and steamy lakes with the possibility of climbing Mt Doom.
- Lake Waikaremoana Track. A very atmospheric walk around a remote lake.The Milford Track. Unique animal and vegetation as well as wonderful waterfalls on the way to Milford Sound.
- The Milford Track. Unique animal and vegetation as well as wonderful waterfalls on the way to Milford Sound. It is located close to the Routeburn Track, which I would walk instead of the Milford if not possible to secure a space.
Top day hikes:
- The Tongariro Alpine Crossing. I walked this as part of the Tongariro Northern Circuit. This is a spectacular walk through volcanic craters and lakes next to Mount Ngauruhoe (Mount Doom) with steam coming up from underneath.
- Pacific Coast walk between Heaphy Hut and Kohaihai. Spectacular walk along the Pacific Coastline. Is also the last day of the Heaphy Track but can be walked as a day walk up to Heaphy Hut.
- Mount Taranaki Summit Track. The toughest hike I did in New Zealand, much tougher than any of the Great Walks, crossing a snow-filled crater and with fabulous views from the summit
- The Mueller Hut Track. Great hike with views of hanging glaciers and Mt Cook.
- Avalanche Peak. Once above the treeline the views of the neighboring snowcapped peaks in the Arthur´s Pass National Park is glorious.
List of New Zealand walks I have walked:
Abel Tasman Coast Track, New Zealand (2015)
Heaphy Track, New Zealand (2016)
Kepler Track, New Zealand (2015)
Lake Waikaremoana Track, New Zealand (2016)
Milford Track, New Zealand (2015)
Routeburn Track, New Zealand (2015)
Tongariro Northern Circuit, New Zealand (2016)