GR20 stage 7: Refuge de Mangano-Refuge de Petra Piana
Distance: 10 km, asc/desc: 980/740 m, 9 h
August 12th, 2016
- I spent a day in Refuge de Mangano, as I was completely soaked from yesterdays thunderstorm. Furthermore weather forecasts were not good. It would turn out to be my last rest day on the GR20.
- Finally on the road, the stage to Refuge de Petra Piana is probably the most spectacular stage on the entire GR20.
- It also contains the most troublesome scrambling section on the entire GR20.
- The moment crossing the Bréche de Capitellu to the lakes Melu and Capitellu on the other side is probably the most spectacular single moment of the entire GR20.
- Furthermore the scrambling around the ridge provide some the most spectacular views of the entire GR20 as well.
- It is tough however. Apart from the scrambling sections on the ridge, a bouldery section and a tough final ascent have to be overcome.
- On the plus side, the descent to Petra Piana is not among the worst and the atmosphere at Petra Piana is wonderful.Click for full photogallery of this GR20 stage one on flickr.
This post is part of a series on the GR20 as walked in August 2015.