Annapurna Circuit, day 6-12: Chame-Upper Pisang-Brakha-Manang (3 nights)-Tilicho Lake (2 nights)
From Chame to Manang
From Chame the landshape shifts gradually from pine forest until Upper Pisang, where the traditional villages Ngyaru and Ngwal are highlights of the circuit.
Manang village higligths include:
- The presence of the Himalayan Rescue Association (whom I have considered volunteering for).
- The fantastic bakery of Hotel Yeti.
- Numerous movie halls playing DVDs on demand.
Hikes around Manang:
- The Ice Lake, Kicho Tso – at 4620 m is is a tough 1100 meter ascent from Manang (3540 m) via Bragha. Great for acclimatization, but cost me another rest day in Manang.
- The 100 rupee monk – 400 meter ascent to Praken Gompa from Manang, less tough but a great cultural experience.
- Chongar viewpoint – 300 meter ascent on the Annapurna massiv with views of the Gangapurna Glacier
- Tilicho lake – a spectacular two-day hike providing the finest mountain sceneries of the entire Annapurna Circuit.
Click here for my photogallery of the area around Manang on flickr.
This post is part of the series on the Annapurna Circuit walked in October 2015.